Scholarship of Teaching & Learning (SoTL)
The Center for Teaching & Learning is eager to assist faculty in exploring the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
There are many ways the CTL can assist, which include:
- Discussing possible topics, which might include:
- active learning
- classroom assessment
- cooperative learning
- course design, including backward design
- critical thinking
- diversity engagement
- learning communities
- undergraduate research
- the development and use of rubrics
- creating a SoTL design project, which includes creating:
- Hypothesis and/or problem statements;
- Key words, the focus of a literature review;
- Methods category (pre/post quantitative/qualitative assessment; essays developing innovative methods; self-reflection; integration of larger frameworks within curriculum; qualitative studies designed to explore key issues; quantitative comparisons of different courses & meta-analyses);
- An experimental design, which clearly identify, minimize and account for potential variables; and
- Statistical analysis.
- Peer review
- Locating appropriate journals.